From: Anders Bruun Olsen <anders@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Gentoo clustering "à la" www.clustermatic.org (PXE booted nodes)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 07:48:36
1 On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 01:27:11AM -0800, Brady Catherman wrote:
2 > Im not familiar with openmosix actually..
3 > We use Grid Engine 6 (which is where qsub comes from) It manages jobs
4 > that users submit.
5
6 Ohh.. okay.
7
8 > Each system runs Gentoo with a slew of parallel enabled programs like
9 > Fluctuate, ClustalW, MrBayes, Emboss and such. These get scheduled
10 > using grid engine. (you submit the job with qsub, then it waits for a
11 > given number of systems to become idle before starting it)
12 > If you are looking to design a cluster you can check out Dr. Amit
13 > Jain's cluster installation guide. He spent months testing every
14
15 What I have is a small number of servers running a big bunch of services
16 for my company. I am currently looking to virtualize everything, thus
17 making it possible to easily migrate virtual machines between physical
18 ones to best utilize our hardware. What I just thought would be an even
19 better way was if it was possible to just put all of the hardware in a
20 cluster whereupon the virtual machines would run. That should give
21 automatic load balancing and make it very easy to manage. If we start
22 running low on CPU resources, I could just add another server to the
23 cluster with basically no configuration needed.
24 I have read somewhere that openmosix and linux-vserver patches should
25 apply cleanly together, but I don't think they will work together
26 correctly.
27 What makes openmosix interresting in my view is that it makes the entire
28 cluster operate as one machine that just automatically distributes tasks
29 across the nodes. You don't even need any special cluster-aware
30 programs. Disclaimer: I may have misunderstood how openmosix. Please
31 correct me if I am mistaken.
32
33 > component he could get his hands on before building his cluster. He
34 > produced some really cool documents with wide ranges of cluster
35 > design in them.
36 > They can be found at: http://cs.boisestate.edu/~amit/teaching/430/
37 > notes/beowulf-setup.pdf
38
39 Thanks, I'll read up on what he has to say :)
40
41 > He also has tons of tutorials on using OpenPBS (A grid Engine like
42 > project) and PVM and such.
43 > (Dr. Jain is like my favorite instructor of all time.. He is a
44 > cluster and Linux guru.. =)
45
46 Sounds good.
49 Anders