From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Gentoo clustering "?? la" www.clustermatic.org (PXE booted nodes)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:50:18
1 On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 12:45:53PM -0500, Eric Thibodeau wrote:
2 > PXE-boot even for the Master?...so where do the images reside...
3 The PXE env resides on an install server, that's used for all of the
4 machines in the network (not just the cluster). (It serves up SUSE's
5 AutoYAST for our desktops, and a few different GLI profiles for our
6 other servers).
7
8 > how do you manage the slightly varying config items such as hostname
9 > and all?
10 hostname is taken from DHCP directly. dhcpcd -H.
11 The other slightly varying stuff is done with a postinstall script run
12 by the installer (the current script is under 100 lines).
13
14 > This approach still seems a little bit time consuming since all nodes
15 > are still individual entities (not NFS roots to a single maintained
16 > image). Though granted that the nodes being all identical, emerge -K
17 > should in theory be a breeze....but it's not the case for maintaining
18 > all the config files consistent.
19 Use INSTALL_MASK=/etc after the install is completed and propagate
20 config files manually (well triggerable command connecting to a local
21 rsync server).
22
23 We also make use of LDAP for authentication.
24
25 > So switching a machine's purpose/profile requires a complete
26 > re-install on the node?
27 Yes, but I'm talking about radical alterations here.
28 Eg we've got a binary app that needs the system compiled with gcc-3.3.
29 It doesn't work if glibc or a few other things are compiled with
30 gcc-3.4 or newer.
31
32 > You state 20 minutes for re-installing, is it
33 > a _real_ install
34 Full GLI install, extract stage, portage tree, emerge -K all needed
35 packages. If you want to make each node compile everything, it's about
36 an hour on the nodes (they are pretty speedy boxes).
37
38 > or the dump of a "reference" root? (Pardon my
39 > ignorance of the CLI installer you are referring to... I'll read the
40 > http link you'll send me ;) )
41 Look for GLI first of all. It's the Gentoo installer. It has a number
42 of frontend modes - GTK, Dialog, and CLI.
43 The CLI is entirely non-interactive.
44
45 > Actually, I would have thought you use _one_ node to compile the packages
46 > (using distcc at your description) and _then_ propagate the package onto the
47 > other nodes with -K....still, I would think maintaining an NFS mounted ROOT
48 > would be less cumbersome....
49 I do compile the packages on a single node. I was mainly pointing out a
50 danger in using -k due to Portage not use lockfiles the binpkgs
51 presently.
54 Robin Hugh Johnson
55 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
56 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85