From: Eric Thibodeau <kyron@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Gentoo clustering "?? la" www.clustermatic.org (PXE booted nodes)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:50:31
1 On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 12:45:53PM -0500, Eric Thibodeau wrote:
4 > > PXE-boot even for the Master?...so where do the images reside...
5 > The PXE env resides on an install server, that's used for all of the
6 > machines in the network (not just the cluster). (It serves up SUSE's
7 > AutoYAST for our desktops, and a few different GLI profiles for our
8 > other servers).
9 Ayee... okay, so your setup is not _strictly_ Beowulf but more of a
10 Beowulfish cluster. I should have mentionned that my intention is to come
11 up with a procedure/scripts/profile(s) intended for a dedicated/classic
12 Beowulf cluster.
13
14 > > how do you manage the slightly varying config items such as hostname
15 > > and all?
16 > hostname is taken from DHCP directly. dhcpcd -H.
17 > The other slightly varying stuff is done with a postinstall script run
18 > by the installer (the current script is under 100 lines).
19 >
20 > > This approach still seems a little bit time consuming since all nodes
21 > > are still individual entities (not NFS roots to a single maintained
22 > > image). Though granted that the nodes being all identical, emerge -K
23 > > should in theory be a breeze....but it's not the case for maintaining
24 > > all the config files consistent.
25 > Use INSTALL_MASK=/etc after the install is completed and propagate
26 > config files manually (well triggerable command connecting to a local
27 > rsync server).
28 >
29 > We also make use of LDAP for authentication.
30
31 I think I fogot to mention that the entire procedure has to fit within 15
32 pages with as little "frill" as possible. Notably, i was explicitally
33 instructed _not_ to implement "complexe" authentication schemes 9such as
34 LDAP+Kerberos/Windows)...
35
36 > > So switching a machine's purpose/profile requires a complete
37 > > re-install on the node?
38 > Yes, but I'm talking about radical alterations here.
39 > Eg we've got a binary app that needs the system compiled with gcc-3.3.
40 > It doesn't work if glibc or a few other things are compiled with
41 > gcc-3.4 or newer.
42
43 This doesn't rule out using a collection NFS roots... Bare in mind that i
44 am an LTSP user/implementer... so I've at leas had _some_ experience with
45 the principle but haven't had to implement it from A to Z as of yet.
46
47 > > You state 20 minutes for re-installing, is it
48 > > a _real_ install
49 > Full GLI install, extract stage, portage tree, emerge -K all needed
50 > packages. If you want to make each node compile everything, it's about
51 > an hour on the nodes (they are pretty speedy boxes).
52 >
53 > > or the dump of a "reference" root? (Pardon my
54 > > ignorance of the CLI installer you are referring to... I'll read the
55 > > http link you'll send me ;) )
56 > Look for GLI first of all. It's the Gentoo installer. It has a number
57 > of frontend modes - GTK, Dialog, and CLI.
58 > The CLI is entirely non-interactive.
59
60 Hmm...will do then. I've been installing Gentoo "by hand" since 1.4 and
61 never sought/required another technique... so how do you call the CLI
62 gentoo Installer? Do you change the default behaviour in your DHCP
63 server's config so that the PXE env. that is booted automatically triggers
64 the installation of such or such profile?
65
66 Thanks,
67
68 Eric