From: Nathan Marcus <latefreight@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Heterogeneous Clusters?
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:16:39
1 Alright, sounds like a good place to start. Thanks.
2
3 On 8/16/05, Jan Klopper <janklopper@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > Nathan,
5 >
6 > One of the first things i'd do if i would setup a new gentoo cluster is
7 > figure out the following gentoo related management stuff first:
8 > Cross compiling, (distcc/ccache)
9 > Shared portage
10 > http Download replicator (see the forums in "tips an tricks")
11 >
12 > As soon as you got these things done, (and made sure you can keep your
13 > cluster up to date) you can start doing things with programs like
14 > openmosix etc.
17 > Nathan Marcus wrote:
18 >
19 > >I am new to the Beowulf cluster scene of Linux, and was about to try
20 > >to set up a cluster in my basement. My question for the gurus here is
21 > >what angle should I go for a heterogeneous cluster of machines? Like
22 > >Openmosix, or whatnot. Here are some system specifics
23 > >
24 > >The front-end node node will be a 667 mhz Pentium 3, 64 mb of RAM, and
25 > >20 gig hard disk.
26 > >
27 > >Another machine, node 1 will be a 350 mhz Pentium 2, 110 mb of RAM,
28 > >and a 5 gig hard disk.
29 > >
30 > >Final node is just about identical to node 1 except it has 64 mb of RAM.
31 > >
32 > >I know this is not a high performance cluster by any means, but I
33 > >would like to try and make a cluster, and I like Gentoo's flexibility,
34 > >but need to know if it is the best for my cluster setup.
35 > >
36 > >Any opinions appreciated!
41 > --
42 > gentoo-cluster@g.o mailing list