From: Jan Klopper <janklopper@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Heterogeneous Clusters?
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 06:51:31
1 Nathan,
2
3 One of the first things i'd do if i would setup a new gentoo cluster is
4 figure out the following gentoo related management stuff first:
5 Cross compiling, (distcc/ccache)
6 Shared portage
7 http Download replicator (see the forums in "tips an tricks")
8
9 As soon as you got these things done, (and made sure you can keep your
10 cluster up to date) you can start doing things with programs like
11 openmosix etc.
14 Nathan Marcus wrote:
15
16 >I am new to the Beowulf cluster scene of Linux, and was about to try
17 >to set up a cluster in my basement. My question for the gurus here is
18 >what angle should I go for a heterogeneous cluster of machines? Like
19 >Openmosix, or whatnot. Here are some system specifics
20 >
21 >The front-end node node will be a 667 mhz Pentium 3, 64 mb of RAM, and
22 >20 gig hard disk.
23 >
24 >Another machine, node 1 will be a 350 mhz Pentium 2, 110 mb of RAM,
25 >and a 5 gig hard disk.
26 >
27 >Final node is just about identical to node 1 except it has 64 mb of RAM.
28 >
29 >I know this is not a high performance cluster by any means, but I
30 >would like to try and make a cluster, and I like Gentoo's flexibility,
31 >but need to know if it is the best for my cluster setup.
32 >
33 >Any opinions appreciated!
39 gentoo-cluster@g.o mailing list