From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-cluster@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-cluster] Welcome
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 04:32:24
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 This is the new, public list for clustering on Gentoo, and I'd like to
4 get things kicked off.
5
6 First, some background:
7
8 The Gentoo Cluster Project [1] has been around since mid-summer, but so
9 far most of our work has been devoted to maintaining sys-cluster and
10 beginning to get some solid documentation together.
11
12 Adelie Linux helped us out this summer with a high-performance computing
13 (HPC) HOWTO (well, most of one) and donation of some computer time
14 during LWE so we could run some demos of clustering on Gentoo.
15 Unfortunately they've been pretty scarce lately.
16
17 IRT other documentation, Michael Imhof (tantive) has put together an
18 openMosix HOWTO (the current docs-team one is for diskless nodes) and
19 Lisa Seelye (lisa) has written up a distcc HOWTO.
20
21 You'll notice that most of the emphasis has been on HPC instead of
22 high-availability (HA).
23
24 Brian Jackson (iggy) has written up some information on the HA side of
25 things [2]. It looks like it currently includes a keepalived HOWTO, a
26 heartbeat HOWTO, and a filesystem choice HOWTO, although I was only able
27 to get to the heartbeat one a few minutes ago because of access denied
28 errors. Lately he's been busy managing the kernel team, however, so we
29 could use some more help on the HA subproject.
30
31 Next, some goals and our progress:
32
33 Stephen Diener (sediener) is interested in setting up a ROCKS-like [3]
34 LiveCD to install an "insta-cluster" from. He's also been adding some of
35 the ganglia [4] packages to portage.
36
37 Mark Weinstein (burnedoutgeek on IRC) made a minimal, bootable openMosix
38 LiveCD. He's been scarce lately, but still around.
39
40 Both of the above will be made exponentially easier once catalyst [5]
41 can make LiveCDs. Catalyst can already make stages, so we could start
42 putting cluster install stages together at any point. Stephen expressed
43 some interest in this, and he said he would look at ROCKS to see what
44 exactly was installed.
45
46 Chris Taylor (ct) has been working on adding some packages to portage.
47 He's been concentrating on pvfs [6] lately.
48
49 One of the really interesting things out there I'd like to see in
50 portage is Condor [7]. It's only available in binary format right now so
51 we'll need a condor-bin ebuild.
52
53 S. Caglar Onur (Charlie on IRC, sorry for mangling your name) has
54 recently shown some interest in the HA subproject and plans to write a
55 HA mail server HOWTO.
56
57 Summary:
58 We need to enhance our documentation. We're waiting on catalyst to make
59 progress on the cluster LiveCDs and stages. We could use more help with
60 the high-availability subproject.
61
62 Now, what do you have to say on this or anything I forgot to mention?
63
64 Thanks,
65 Donnie Berkholz (spyderous)
68 1. http://cluster.gentoo.org/