From: Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o>
To: gentoo-cluster@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Welcome
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:03:00
1 On Thursday 11 December 2003 04:38 am, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 <snip>
4 >
5 > You'll notice that most of the emphasis has been on HPC instead of
6 > high-availability (HA).
7 >
8 > Brian Jackson (iggy) has written up some information on the HA side of
9 > things [2]. It looks like it currently includes a keepalived HOWTO, a
10 > heartbeat HOWTO, and a filesystem choice HOWTO, although I was only able
11 > to get to the heartbeat one a few minutes ago because of access denied
12 > errors. Lately he's been busy managing the kernel team, however, so we
13 > could use some more help on the HA subproject.
14
15 Sorry about that, I thought I had fixed that a long time ago, but apparently
16 only for some pages, all pages should be fixed now. Also the heartbeat howto
17 is pretty complete, the keepalived howto, and the fs selection guide need
18 some work though.
21 > Next, some goals and our progress:
22 >
23 > Stephen Diener (sediener) is interested in setting up a ROCKS-like [3]
24 > LiveCD to install an "insta-cluster" from. He's also been adding some of
25 > the ganglia [4] packages to portage.
26 >
27 > Mark Weinstein (burnedoutgeek on IRC) made a minimal, bootable openMosix
28 > LiveCD. He's been scarce lately, but still around.
29 >
30 > Both of the above will be made exponentially easier once catalyst [5]
31 > can make LiveCDs. Catalyst can already make stages, so we could start
32 > putting cluster install stages together at any point. Stephen expressed
33 > some interest in this, and he said he would look at ROCKS to see what
34 > exactly was installed.
35 >
36 > Chris Taylor (ct) has been working on adding some packages to portage.
37 > He's been concentrating on pvfs [6] lately.
38 >
39 > One of the really interesting things out there I'd like to see in
40 > portage is Condor [7]. It's only available in binary format right now so
41 > we'll need a condor-bin ebuild.
42 >
43 > S. Caglar Onur (Charlie on IRC, sorry for mangling your name) has
44 > recently shown some interest in the HA subproject and plans to write a
45 > HA mail server HOWTO.
46 >
47 > Summary:
48 > We need to enhance our documentation. We're waiting on catalyst to make
49 > progress on the cluster LiveCDs and stages. We could use more help with
50 > the high-availability subproject.
51 >
52 > Now, what do you have to say on this or anything I forgot to mention?
53 >
54 > Thanks,
55 > Donnie Berkholz (spyderous)
58 > 1. http://cluster.gentoo.org/