From: Giacomo Bagnoli <g.bagnoli@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] CLVM on amd64 profile
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 15:06:26
1 Brian,
2 first of all thanks for your answer
3
4 Il giorno lun, 18/05/2009 alle 09.29 -0500, Brian Kroth ha scritto:
5 > I remember looking at this a while ago as well and being fairly
6 > confused. I'm fairly certain that lvm2 with the use flags you mention
7 > is the way to go, so you might have to unmask them in your
8 > /etc/portage/profile/use.mask (add -clvm, -cman).
9 >
10 > OCFS2 generally uses it's own different cluster stack than CMAN (which
11 > uses openais). Since I believe 2.6.26 you can use the other one, but I
12 > haven't found it to be as stable.
13
14 I didn't understand here what you mean. Which one is "the other one"?
15 (maybe it's just my english :P )
16
17 > It also requires quite a bit of extra
18 > configuration for proper fencing, whereas that's built into the OCFS2
19 > stack. Since you're doing this with DRBD it sounds like you're trying
20 > to do it on the cheap so proper fencing probably isn't available
21 > anyways.
22
23 Yes, you're right. The only way I have to get a sort of STONITH (if it
24 can be used, I've still to check this) is IPMI which is working well so
25 far.
26
27 > If you aren't doing anything with LVM that needs to be cluster aware
28 > (eg: just a concatenation of multiple PVs, no striping) then it should
29 > be just fine without CLVM. The key is that you /must/ take all but one
30 > node offline (umount; vgchange -an) before you do any LVM operations
31 > such as adding more extents, else they'll have an inconsistent view of
32 > the VGs/LVs. This also isn't technically supported but I've run it
33 > without problems for a year or so now.
34
35 The problem is that a node will use (mount) some LVs and the other one
36 some others. So I can't do the fast way as you suggest, as I need to
37 stop all services that use data on LVs before unmounting.
38
39 I'll try to unmask those flags and re-emerge lvm2.
40
41 Thanks,
42 Giacomo