From: Brian Kroth <bpkroth@×××××.com>
To: Giacomo Bagnoli <g.bagnoli@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] CLVM on amd64 profile
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 14:29:25
1 Giacomo Bagnoli <g.bagnoli@××××××.com> 2009-05-18 12:27:
2 > Hi all,
3 > this is my first message here, I did a quick search on google but I did
4 > not found the answers I'm looking for.
5 > I'm trying to setup (well, right now I am experimenting :) ) a 2 node
6 > cluster with drbd-shared storage using 64bit profile on 2 intel xeon
7 > servers. I've successfully setup drbd 8 in primary-primary using an lvm
8 > LV as drbd disk with ocfs2 (that's it, drbd over lvm).
9 > Now I'm trying to do the opposite, lvm over a drbd device, using drbd1
10 > as a PV for a lvm VG. If I've understood the problem correctly I need
11 > clvm to manage active-active configuration to avoid metadata corruption
12 > when managing LVs.
13 > This shared PV is not the system PV I use for the node OS, it's on
14 > another disk that i plan to share directly via drbd.
15 >
16 > What confuses me is the presence of sys-fs/clvm and sys-fs/lvm2 with
17 > clvm and cman use flags.
18 > I've installed sys-fs/lvm2-2.0.45, when trying to install clvm I get
19 > blockers (device-mapper and lvm2 itself).
20 > sys-fs/lvm2 clvm and cman use flags are profile masked on amd64 (but
21 > not on x86), why?
22 > Should I need to downgrade lvm2 and install clvm or do it's safe to try
23 > out unmasking those use flags by overriding the profile (I'm using
24 > paludis and already have a custom profile that inherit from
25 > amd64/2008.0/server)?
26 >
27 > Thanks in advance,
28 > Giacomo
29
30 I remember looking at this a while ago as well and being fairly
31 confused. I'm fairly certain that lvm2 with the use flags you mention
32 is the way to go, so you might have to unmask them in your
33 /etc/portage/profile/use.mask (add -clvm, -cman).
34
35 OCFS2 generally uses it's own different cluster stack than CMAN (which
36 uses openais). Since I believe 2.6.26 you can use the other one, but I
37 haven't found it to be as stable. It also requires quite a bit of extra
38 configuration for proper fencing, whereas that's built into the OCFS2
39 stack. Since you're doing this with DRBD it sounds like you're trying
40 to do it on the cheap so proper fencing probably isn't available
41 anyways.
42
43 If you aren't doing anything with LVM that needs to be cluster aware
44 (eg: just a concatenation of multiple PVs, no striping) then it should
45 be just fine without CLVM. The key is that you /must/ take all but one
46 node offline (umount; vgchange -an) before you do any LVM operations
47 such as adding more extents, else they'll have an inconsistent view of
48 the VGs/LVs. This also isn't technically supported but I've run it
49 without problems for a year or so now.
50
51 Brian