From: "C. Bergström" <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Remote administration of a server
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 19:53:08
1 Nick Anderson wrote:
2 >> Nick, can I use those serial consoles to manage a PC hardware without the
3 >> OS (like BIOS access)?
4 bios level access is available on some boards.. For example a lot of
5 embedded boards.. or single board computers.. (eg.. soekris) There's a
6 more enterprise/cluster ready hw solution, but the vendor slips my mind
7 atm.. I also have only been referred to them and haven't used them
8 personally.
9
10 I've had clients with HP IP KVM solutions and it worked reasonably well.
11 Java client never crashed on me, but the pricetag is certainly not
12 'cheap'... There's a hosting company in SJ that has their own IP KVM
13 solution rolled, but never got around to asking them exactly how they
14 did it.. email me off list and I'll forward their contact info..
15
16 If you're on standard hw.. pxe boot +'APC pdu switches.. You get the
17 fencing device for your cluster and even in the event of hw failure you
18 can still have node up..
19
20 ./C
21 --