From: Nick Anderson <nick@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Remote administration of a server
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 19:30:22
1 > Nick, can I use those serial consoles to manage a PC hardware without the
2 > OS (like BIOS access)?
3 Daniel,
4 Yes you can. Thats whats great about serial console. I believe ipmi/opmi can
5 do this as well. The issue I have seen with ipmi is that many of the newer
6 boards are a pita to get working right. Manufactures firmware images just are
7 not easy to deal with yet.
8
9 Get a hold of edward liu over at arema and he might be able to send you a demo
10 board with ipmi (assuming you can wrangel your own cpus memory and hard
11 drives). Tell him Nick Anderson formerly from teamhpc sent you.