From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] GLEP 54/55 updates [WAS] Council Meeting summary for 26 February 2009
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 10:40:22
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On 19:19 Mon 02 Mar , Thomas Anderson wrote:
3 >> - GLEP 55
4 >> There had been quite a bit of discussion on this topic recently.
5 >> Within hours of the council meeting new proposals were being proposed
6 >> and discussion was ongoing.
7 >>
8 >> Conclusion:
9 >> No decision as of yet. Ciaran Mccreesh(ciaranm) and Zac
10 >> Medico(zmedico) volunteered to benchmark the various proposals on
11 >> the package managers they maintain(paludis and portage
12 >> respectively. Petteri(Betelgeuse) will assist with the portage
13 >> benchmarks. Tiziano(dev-zero) and Alec Warner(antarus) will write
14 >> up a comparison of the various proposals and their various
15 >> advantages and disadvantages within a week.
16 >>
17 >> - GLEP 54
18 >> There had been some discussion on gentoo-dev since last meeting,
19 >> though no consensus or agreement had been reached(surprise!)
20 >>
21 >> Conclusion:
22 >> Thomas Anderson(tanderson) and Luca Barbato(lu_zero) will write up
23 >> a comparison of the advantages and disadvantages of the two
24 >> proposals(-scm and _live). This will be completed within a week.
25 >
26 > What is the status of both of these?
27
28 I update the document on
29 http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero/glep/liveebuild.rst some time ago but I
30 forgot to ping others beside Thomas.
31
32 > If they aren't done yet, why not, what needs to happen, and who needs to do it?
33
34 What's needed beside Thomas part (that should make me happy about having
35 glep54 more complete, understandable and hopefully with more backing),
36 is merging what I write about the current situation and the "minor
37 changes" like adding the live property to make portage aware since that
38 is concerning me more than having theoretically proper versioning (since
39 that point could be managed enforcing versioning guidelines for
40 snapshots with ease)
41
42 lu
46 Luca Barbato