From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] CoC: informal enforcement
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 12:36:28
1 On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 02:13 -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I'm proposing to start CoC enforcement in a simple manner that doesn't
5 > require approval of any sort, and I'd like to discuss it at the council
6 > meeting to get your feedback.
7 >
8 > What I want to do is build a core culture of people who refuse to
9 > tolerate assholes. We can do this by getting together a small group who
10 > will reply to any gentoo-dev posts or #gentoo-dev comments by people who
11 > are being jerks, telling them that they're being a jerk and not replying
12 > to the substance of the jerk's post at all. Replies to the substance of
13 > a post would come separately or not at all. Having a group of people
14 > reply to hostile posters should begin rebuilding a culture that doesn't
15 > tolerate that type of action.
16 >
17 > People who are consistently jerks are incompetent developers and should
18 > be treated as such.
19 >
20 > Thanks,
21 > Donnie
22
23 Nice idea and worth a try. I have one concern. Since we are talking
24 CoC here, I'd like to emphasise that "assholeness" should be determined
25 within the guidelines of the CoC. Not by some person's own conception
26 of "assholeness" --- I'd hate to see a flame war about just who is being
27 the asshole in any particular instance.
28
29 Regards,
30 --
31 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
32 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc, Userrel)