From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] One research problem we could research
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 18:00:12
On Thursday 09 October 2003 17:37, foser wrote:
> [...]
Well, actually the ttf fonts are the best looking on my system (yes and non-AA in the sizes 8-17 as I don't like fuzzy fonts). I agree that bitmap fonts give better results, but only if they are not scaled. What also goes wrong sometimes is ps fonts.
> > > For non-latin, I think we should look into making clear what needs to be > > done for making it look good, which packages should be installed etc. Not > > all people who would use those fonts know that. > > I believe they do, otherwise they're stuck with incomplete charsets or > characters from different packs with different look. Anyway, this is all > part of a much bigger picture.
They have to, if say, the desktop-guide would give that information it would save them (and me, as my girlfriend wants to be able to read and write Chinese (simplified)) a lot of headaches.
And the same fonts are chosen for the same name. fontconfig plays it's own little role, just as the core font protocol does. And pango and qt as wrappers around the font system. Paul -- Paul de Vrieze Researcher Mail: pauldv@××××××.nl Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net