From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo Installer : first checkpoint
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:04:14
1 On Wednesday 28 January 2004 14:18, dams@×××.fr wrote:
2 >
3 > But I have one major interrogation : in the discussion, it's not clear
4 > where the installer stops, and where the config starts. We agree that the
5 > configuration process has to use the config tools, to avoid redundance.
6 > Now, should the install do minimal install (network + partitioning +
7 > installing base system - no package choice), then reboot or chroot in the
8 > new environment, then start various config tools, among them a portage
9 > frontend, user conf, sound, printing, X, language/i18n, ... ? Or do you
10 > want these steps to be in the installer GUI? (in the GUI/console concept,
11 > you could emerge stuff and configure everything by hand in the console, no
12 > need to reboot/chroot)
13
14 I don't know what we want. However we must remember that the installer CD has
15 a more rich environment than is available in a base system. I don't think it
16 is nice to have installation to depend on having any resources like X
17 available at the running system. To me that means that we don't do the reboot
18 for some while, instead run the tools which are on the cd from the installer
19 directly. We could also have it depend on whether the user chooses to install
20 the configuration tools. If the latter is the case then we can shortcircuit
21 the installation phase and reboot after these are installed.
22
23 Paul
26 Paul de Vrieze
27 Gentoo Developer