From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: KDE Overlay and failed downloads
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 04:09:28
Graham Murray posted on Fri, 18 Nov 2011 18:57:43 +0000 as excerpted:

> It seems that almost every time a new KDE version is keyworded ~arch in > the KDE overlay[1] that none (or at most 1 or 2) of the tarballs can be > fetched. The tarballs must exist otherwise the maintainers would not be > able to generate the manifests. > > [1] Today it is version 4.7.80
If you look at the kde upstream schedules... bookmarkable general link: http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules 4.8: http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.8_Release_Schedule ... You'll see this:

Thursday, November 17, 2011: KDE SC 4.8 Beta 1 Tagging Trunk is frozen for beta release tagging. Only urgent fixes, such as those fixing compilation errors, should be committed. The usual beta rules apply as soon as the Beta tarballs have been generated. Wednesday, November 23, 2011: KDE SC 4.8 Beta 1 Release The beta becomes available for general consumption. <<<<< If you read a bit more of the schedule, as well as check the gentoo/kde overlay's gitlog (change into the overlay dir and run git whatchanged), what you'll find is this: About a week before a kde version is announced to the public and tarballs made available for public download, it's tagged and preliminary tarballs made available to the distros for testing and creating their own builds. In this way, on the day of the announcement, they can already link to packages available from cooperating distros, who have been able to build them based on the preview copies they were able to get before the public announcement and release. However, it's worth noting that these preview tarballs aren't always exactly the same as the ones finally made available on public release day. Often there's a show-stopper bug or two discovered after the pre- release, that's fixed for the public announcement and release. It seems that nearly ever time, at least one of the tarballs is updated in the interim. Again, if you check the overlay commit logs, you'll see the entries where they update the manifests accordingly. That's also why if you try building the first day after public release, often packages based on one tarball or another fail the manifest check -- upstream changed the tarballs after the pre-release, and the gentoo/kde overlay hasn't caught up yet. What all that means in practice is that 4.8-beta1 (aka 4.7.80) hasn't yet been publicly released. It's only available to the distro kde maintainers. Wait until the 23rd or so (sometimes it's a day late, so try the 24th, or even the 25th), then try updating. Meanwhile, the gentoo/kde folks have been TRYING to keep those pre- releases hard-masked until public release, and they've had a chance to verify that their manifests still match those of the public release. However, that's a work in progress, and sometimes they forget, or they mask most of it but miss a package or two, which then try to pull in the rest of the update when they try to upgrade, causing problems because most of that version is still hard-masked. What you can usually do as a workaround, is take the closest package.(un)mask and/or package.keywords file from the kde overlay's Documentation dir and drop it in your /etc/portage/package.mask/ dir (or copy the list into the file, if you're still using a file instead of a dir). That usually fixes it, unless your other package.unmask entries are too broad, for example >=kde-base/kdelibs-4.7 or <=kde-base/kdelibs-4.8 instead of <=kde-base/kdelibs-4.7.50, if you were previously trying to early-unmask new 4.7 series versions, since 4.7.80 is really 4.8-beta1, and unmasks override masks. Also, as I said, sometimes a package slips thru the cracks and isn't listed on the (un)mask/keywords list, in which case you'll have to add it, to reestablish order. Just don't forget to delete that mask-file after the public release, assuming of course that you want to update to it as soon as you can. =:^) -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman