From: Igor Korot <ikorot01@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Dependencies of KDE 3
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 00:05:13
1 Duncan,
2
3 On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
4 > Igor Korot posted on Tue, 27 Nov 2012 11:21:50 -0800 as excerpted:
5 >
6 >>> Let's see here. Ignore packages with the -meta suffix, first off,
7 >>> since they're just aggregators for other packages. Secondly, since
8 >>> Portage's dependency identification sometimes messes up in --keep-going
9 >>> runs, attempt to individually re-emerge any package that didn't get far
10 >>> enough to produce a log. Start with the kde-base packages:
11 >>>
12 >>>> * (kde-base/kdm-3.5.10::kde-sunset, ebuild scheduled for merge)
13 >>>> * (kde-base/kdebase-startkde-3.5.10-r5::kde-sunset, ebuild scheduled
14 >>>> for merge) * (kde-base/konqueror-3.5.10::kde-sunset, ebuild
15 >>>> scheduled for merge)
16 >>>> * (kde-base/kdesktop-3.5.10::kde-sunset, ebuild scheduled for merge)
17 >>>> * (kde-base/konsole-3.5.10::kde-sunset, ebuild scheduled for merge)
18 >>>
19 >>> Most of these packages are important to the basic functioning of KDE,
20 >>> and you need to get them merged if you want a functioning desktop.
21 >>> Then look at the extras:
22 >>
23 >> Here, unmasking kcontrol fixed everything. All 5 packages are now
24 >> compiled and installed correctly.
25 >
26 > =:^)
27 >
28 >>> These packages are less important, and if you can live with the idea of
29 >>> using a different (probably GTK-based) mailer and calendar application,
30 >>> you don't absolutely need them.
31 >
32 > I meant to reply to this point earlier and forgot.
33 >
34 > Due to kdepim4 akonadifying everything, I've dumped everything related to
35 > it, here. For me, that was kmail and akregator. FWIW, I've been very
36 > happy with the (gtk-based) claws-mail I replaced both of them with. It
37 > can be noted, however, that I prefer to keep mail and feeds separate, so
38 > while I use claws-mail with its feed-reader plugin for feeds (replacing
39 > akregator), I run two separate claws-mail instances, using different icon
40 > themes for each so I can tell the difference in the system tray icons (in
41 > particular, otherwise I don't really care). Getting two instances to run
42 > required setting up a couple environmental variables in a script-wrapper
43 > that I run to start them up, otherwise the first one intercepts the
44 > commands intended for the second, but that was simple enough, once I
45 > figured out what was happening.
46 >
47 > So if you /do/ happen to be looking for a new mail (and/or feeds) client,
48 > I can say I've been very happy with claws-mail. In particular, as with
49 > most MH-mail format mail clients, its emphasis is on user scriptable
50 > extensibility, which means it's very unlikely to have the devs up and
51 > decide to break everything just to go chasing something new, as both kde4
52 > and now kdepim4 have done, as that would break all the user's scripts!
53 > After being forced to leave kmail after nearly a decade due to its devs'
54 > fascination with shiny, that's an even more significant feature for this
55 > gentooer than simple scriptable extensibility is likely to be for the
56 > /average/ gentooer. =:^)
57 >
58 > If your mail providers all have IMAP (or you control your own), there's
59 > also the relatively new trojita, with a gentoo dev as upstream, too.
60 > Unfortunately, my MSPs are all POP3 based, so that wouldn't be an easy
61 > switch, here, but I was still tempted, and probably would have setup my
62 > own IMAP and used fetchmail or whatever, if I hadn't found claws-mail
63 > such a good match. Trojita is qt4 based, and the author recently blogged
64 > (carried by the gentoo-planet feed) about a qt5 conference he was
65 > attending, so it shouldn't get stuck with an old qt as kde3 did.
66
67 I can perfectly well live without the mail/calendar/office stuff.
68 I just need KDE to test some things.
69
70 AFAIU, I have a working install of this DM, just kopete fails.
71 Everything else is either not important or can be substituted.
72
73 Thank you.
76 > --
77 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
78 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
79 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman