From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Dependencies of KDE 3
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 00:04:04
1 Igor Korot posted on Tue, 27 Nov 2012 11:21:50 -0800 as excerpted:
2
3 >> Let's see here. Ignore packages with the -meta suffix, first off,
4 >> since they're just aggregators for other packages. Secondly, since
5 >> Portage's dependency identification sometimes messes up in --keep-going
6 >> runs, attempt to individually re-emerge any package that didn't get far
7 >> enough to produce a log. Start with the kde-base packages:
8 >>
9 >>> * (kde-base/kdm-3.5.10::kde-sunset, ebuild scheduled for merge)
10 >>> * (kde-base/kdebase-startkde-3.5.10-r5::kde-sunset, ebuild scheduled
11 >>> for merge) * (kde-base/konqueror-3.5.10::kde-sunset, ebuild
12 >>> scheduled for merge)
13 >>> * (kde-base/kdesktop-3.5.10::kde-sunset, ebuild scheduled for merge)
14 >>> * (kde-base/konsole-3.5.10::kde-sunset, ebuild scheduled for merge)
15 >>
16 >> Most of these packages are important to the basic functioning of KDE,
17 >> and you need to get them merged if you want a functioning desktop.
18 >> Then look at the extras:
19 >
20 > Here, unmasking kcontrol fixed everything. All 5 packages are now
21 > compiled and installed correctly.
22
23 =:^)
24
25 >> These packages are less important, and if you can live with the idea of
26 >> using a different (probably GTK-based) mailer and calendar application,
27 >> you don't absolutely need them.
28
29 I meant to reply to this point earlier and forgot.
30
31 Due to kdepim4 akonadifying everything, I've dumped everything related to
32 it, here. For me, that was kmail and akregator. FWIW, I've been very
33 happy with the (gtk-based) claws-mail I replaced both of them with. It
34 can be noted, however, that I prefer to keep mail and feeds separate, so
35 while I use claws-mail with its feed-reader plugin for feeds (replacing
36 akregator), I run two separate claws-mail instances, using different icon
37 themes for each so I can tell the difference in the system tray icons (in
38 particular, otherwise I don't really care). Getting two instances to run
39 required setting up a couple environmental variables in a script-wrapper
40 that I run to start them up, otherwise the first one intercepts the
41 commands intended for the second, but that was simple enough, once I
42 figured out what was happening.
43
44 So if you /do/ happen to be looking for a new mail (and/or feeds) client,
45 I can say I've been very happy with claws-mail. In particular, as with
46 most MH-mail format mail clients, its emphasis is on user scriptable
47 extensibility, which means it's very unlikely to have the devs up and
48 decide to break everything just to go chasing something new, as both kde4
49 and now kdepim4 have done, as that would break all the user's scripts!
50 After being forced to leave kmail after nearly a decade due to its devs'
51 fascination with shiny, that's an even more significant feature for this
52 gentooer than simple scriptable extensibility is likely to be for the
53 /average/ gentooer. =:^)
54
55 If your mail providers all have IMAP (or you control your own), there's
56 also the relatively new trojita, with a gentoo dev as upstream, too.
57 Unfortunately, my MSPs are all POP3 based, so that wouldn't be an easy
58 switch, here, but I was still tempted, and probably would have setup my
59 own IMAP and used fetchmail or whatever, if I hadn't found claws-mail
60 such a good match. Trojita is qt4 based, and the author recently blogged
61 (carried by the gentoo-planet feed) about a qt5 conference he was
62 attending, so it shouldn't get stuck with an old qt as kde3 did.
67 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman