From: Harry Holt <harryholt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] CD player recommendations ??
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:24:15
Generally, that's true - as long as you have a PC with enough resources to
handle everything.  There are several  considerations for wanting to stick
to applications that are designed for a particular environment:

1)  Gnome and KDE make use of a rather large stack of runtime libraries that
remain resident.  If you are running a Gnome desktop and start up a KDE
application, the first thing that happens is the stack of libraries for KDE
loads up into the system and remain resident until you restart the X
server.  This requires a significant amount of resources.  Same thing if you
are running KDE and start up a Gnome application.

2)  Each environment has a number of dependencies.  If you only have one
environment installed, installing an application for the other requires that
you also install all those libraries and dependencies.  Maybe not a major
issue for some, but a consideration none-the-less.

3)  Consistency.  The desktop environment that the application is designed
for has an impact on the application's interface, appearance, etc.  Gnome
and KDE even have slightly different paradigms for working with the
clipboard.  Yes, you can do some tweaking to get them to act consistent in
some cases, but it's not as simple as using an application built for your
chosen environment.

I *do* see your point, and I generally follow it myself.  I prefer the
gnuStep environment myself, but the application selection for it is dismal,
so I am usually in Gnome.  Even with that, I also use a couple of KDE
applications (k3b for one) simply because I require the features they have.
But, then, I have a pretty beefy PC.

.... HH

On 1/10/07, b.n. <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
> > Lindsay Haisley ha scritto: > > even on Gnome, though > > it's primarily a KDE utililty. I'm just looking for a simple, solid CD > player > > UI that understands CDDB lookups, local and remote. > > In fact, I don't understand all this constant "I'm running Gnome/KDE so > I want a Gnome/KDE app" that is constant between Linux/Unix users. > Gnome-GTK and KDE apps work fine together. Why having to fuss for > wanting an app built with one toolkit instead of the other? Isn't > important that the app gets the job done? > > m. > > -- > gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list > >
-- Harry Holt, PMP