From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: K3b can't find source CD to copy
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 07:50:36
1 Lindsay Haisley posted <20051225030054.GA19313@×××.com>, excerpted below,
2 on Sat, 24 Dec 2005 21:00:54 -0600:
3
4 > K3b used to be my best CD creating and duplicating app, but today when I
5 > tried to do a CD copy the program apparently wouldn't recoginze the source
6 > CD for copying. I can see the CD-R unit (Sony CD-RW CRX230E) with diskinfo,
7 > and this unit shows up as the "CD Reader Device" in the CD Copy dialog,
8 > however the Start button in this dialog is disabled and nothing I do seems
9 > to enable it. If I start k3b from a cli prompt, I get a dozen or so lines
10 > of "k3b: ERROR: (K3bDevice::Device) Unable to do inquiry." although this may
11 > have no bearing on the problem.
12
13 That seems like a device permissions problem, to me. Run k3bsetup (it
14 should prompt for the root password), and verify group ownerships. Then
15 ensure you are in the correct group as you set it to use.
16
17 You can of course verify that it's ownership/permissions by attempting to
18 run k3b as root and check if the start button enables, there. I'd not
19 recommend making it a habit, or even doing the burn, just verifying
20 whether the thing gives you the option, as it's one way to test whether
21 the problem is permissions or not, as long as you are reasonably sure you
22 /trust/ the app to run as root. That of course is up to you.
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
28 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
32 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list