From: Brent Busby <brent@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Dependencies of KDE 3
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 21:03:38
1 On Tue, 20 Nov 2012, Canek Pel?ez Vald?s wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM, Igor Korot <ikorot01@×××××.com> wrote:
4 [...]
5 >> Also, very strange thing is that the dependency tree of KDE 3 is not updated:
6 >>
7 >> If I have the latest openssl, which is 1.0.0j, KDE will slot-instal 0.0.8x.
8 >>
9 >> Is there such an incompatibility?
10
11 You can use the newest OpenSSL. The only problem is that sftp:// URL
12 support in programs like Konqueror will no longer work, because
13 apparently the kioslaves don't know how to talk to the new SSH. I've
14 been able to live without that though by using FUSE mounts. There's no
15 reason to keep an old OpenSSL around, and in fact, it's insecure.
18 >> And third issue:
19 >>
20 >> mDNSResponder ebuuild is not in the tree.
21 >
22 > Was removed four months ago; this was the warning:
23 >
24 > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_f420c354ab23da51c943dff9cb4d9e76.xml
25 >
26 > As the mail says, net-dns/avahi[mdnsresponder-compat] seems to cover
27 > the same; perhaps you could use that?
28 >
29 >> Could someone please put it back?
30 >
31 > Unless someone steps up to maintain it (and fix all the problems it
32 > could have), it's not going to happen.
33
34 The solution I'm using here (since I really don't want or need either
35 one of them) is that I've setup only the KDE packages that require it to
36 build with the avahi USE flag, and nothing else anywhere. It is also
37 necessary to put in a mask against gentoo's main repository Avahi, and
38 unmask the latest version of kde-sunset's Avahi. The results of a grep
39 through my /etc/portage for 'avahi' shows what I mean:
40
41 /etc/portage/package.use:kde-base/kdelibs arts avahi
42 /etc/portage/package.keywords:net-dns/avahi::kde-sunset ~amd64
43 /etc/portage/package.mask:net-dns/avahi::gentoo
46 The one other bit of help I might offer with kde-sunset is that I've
47 found that if something doesn't build correctly, there is very often a
48 masked patched version in the overlay that fixes the problem that will
49 only become available if you keyword it. All sorts of things can be
50 fixed with an "~amd64" on the package that's having trouble.
53 + Brent A. Busby + "We've all heard that a million monkeys
54 + Sr. UNIX Systems Admin + banging on a million typewriters will
55 + University of Chicago + eventually reproduce the entire works of
56 + James Franck Institute + Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet,
57 + Materials Research Ctr + we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky