From: Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: phonon
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 20:56:57
Le Sat, 19 Nov 2011 15:34:19 +0000 (UTC),
Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> a écrit :

> Dominique Michel posted on Sat, 19 Nov 2011 14:35:18 +0100 as > excerpted: > > > I am using fvwm with fvwm-crystal. I use a few kde apps like kate or > > kaffeine. I am also running jack all the time as sound server. > > > > The only one program I get trouble with this setup is kaffeine. > > When the sound is working fine with the old kaffeine version for > > kde3, it doesn't work at all with kaffeine for kde4. The problem > > seam to come from kaffeine and phonon. > > > Do you know if the kde guys (the upstream for phonon for what I > > know) do have any plan to solve this mess? > > The problem with qt-phonon was that the qt guys decided to use it for > multimedia, then just as quickly (but after making it a part of qt4) > decided it wasn't really what they needed for the mobile side and > went with qt-multimedia instead. So it kind of got dropped as far as > continued improvements go, but they had to continue shipping it since > it was now part of the qt4 api. > > Of course, then nokia dropped much of their previous Linux/Qt-based- > mobile emphasis and went with MS... kind of leaving the > mobile-targeted qt-multimedia up in the air. <shrug> > > Qt5 is under development, but I honestly haven't the foggiest what > they're doing with multimedia there. Perhaps they'll fully drop > phonon. OTOH, perhaps now that the money angle isn't driving it to > the same extent and any further platform ports will be purely > community driven, perhaps they'll drop qt-multimedia (or keep the > name but integrate phonon) and refocus on the desktop. > > Perhaps the best that has come out of the whole mess, is that qt > itself is now fully free, sponsored by the qt-foundation, which was > in turn setup by nokia, but is fully community governed and steered, > now, with the nokia sponsored devs and other community devs now on > the same footing -- it's a purely contributions based meritocracy now.
Nice move.
> > > Do you know any solution that will let me to have sound from > > kaffeine into jack when not running kde? > > I *STRONGLY* recommend that you try smplayer, instead. Back in the > kde3 era I swore by kaffeine myself, but back when I last tried the > kde4 kaffeine alpha, back in the kde 4.2/4.3 era when kde and gentoo > were dropping kde3 support (with qt3 support already long gone > upstream), it was a castrated wimp of its former self, with barely > the basics working, non of its former power. Maybe it has improved > since then, but I found something even better, for me at least, and > haven't looked back. > > I went looking for something else, and stumbled upon the qt-4 based > smplayer. For me, smplayer had all the configurability and power of > kaffeine for kde3, if not more, and I've been using it ever since. > =:^) As mentioned it's qt4 based, and can skin to look like a kde app > if desired. However, because it's only qt4, not kde4, it doesn't > require any of the kde4 infrastructure, including the phonon that's > giving you so much problems. > > But still a couple of caveats, that might or might not affect your > usage. First, smplayer is (as the name implies) mplayer based, not > xine- based as is kaffeine. I was originally a bit leery of that as > I'd had problems with mplayer back in the day, but the problems seem > to have been worked out and at least via smplayer, mplayer seems to > be fine, now. =:^) Second, while smplayer appears to have > tv-tuner-card functionality similar to that of kaffeine, I don't have > such a device, so have no idea how it compares in that regard. All I > know is that it /more/ than exceeded my expectations in regard to > playing computer and dvd media, and is if anything, even more > configurable, hotkeys, etc, than kaffeine was. > > So... I HIGHLY recommend that you try smplayer. I certainly haven't > looked back at kaffeine since I did. Hopefully you'll be as happy > with it as I've been. =:^) >
I like mplayer, it is the best player around with alsaplayer. They are simple, but get the job done. I try smplayer. It lack several functions of kaffeine like the channel search and the EPG. I used dvbscan from linuxtv-dvb-apps for searching the channels, and now the dvb-s part of my card work with smplayer. I still miss the recording facility of kaffeine. It is possible to add a dumpstream in the options, but it would be better to use mencoder for that. With mencoder, we would have the capability to transcode the recording to another format. I also have problem with the dvb-t part of the card. I finally get a working channel list for the dvb-t. But I cannot get it to work with mplayer. I get a workaround here : https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=913466 but when I apply it, this is the dvb-s part of the card that is not working any more. So I have to look if I can solve it with some custom udev rules. Cheers, Dominique -- "We have the heroes we deserve."