From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: USB hard drive mounting problem
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 22:14:15
1 On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 20:24 +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com> posted
3 > 1192899794.10036.59.camel@××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Sat, 20 Oct
4 > 2007 12:03:14 -0500:
5 >
6 > > On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 04:32 +0000, Duncan wrote:
7 > >> > It would be a Good Thing if new local accounts could be added to
8 > >> > group plugdev when they're created.
9 >
10 > For a moment there, I was rather confused, as I knew I certainly didn't
11 > write what plainly looked to be attributed to me...
12
13 Yes, it can be confusing ;-)
14
15 > I'll admit there are certainly ways to make the management thereof
16 > easier. OTOH, Gentoo is very deliberately not aimed toward those who
17 > need a huge amount of hand-holding, and users are expected to take
18 > responsibility for sysadmining their own system -- with guidance where it
19 > may be found necessary, of course, and this is arguably one such place.
20
21 Gentoo has excellent online documentation, as you point out, but there
22 are times when the organization of it can be an issue. Those of us with
23 sysadmin experience don't need our hands held, generally, but OTOH we
24 don't like to have to waste time digging for facts we need under
25 multiple rocks. Over time, we learn where to look, but people keep
26 moving the rocks and adding more of them :-/
27
28 Unix at the gitgo was never aimed at beginners, but almost all the
29 documentation you needed was in man pages, and one's skill had to be in
30 reading and understanding the technical terms is said docs. These days,
31 necessary documentation is in a dozen different places - HTML help
32 files, online, traditional man page, etc.
33
34 > The question was a reasonable one to ask, and it was quickly and
35 > reasonably answered (if by the original poster, but answered in any case)
36 > and confirmed.
37
38 As the "original poster" I'll have to admit that I will very often post
39 to a forum such as this, then do the research an answer the question,
40 and then post the answer if I find one. There's method in this, in that
41 I feel that the original question is one that others may well have, and
42 even if I'm the one who posts the answer I'm exposing the solution to a
43 problem that is probably more common than just me. If I don't find an
44 answer, I'll often get one on this forum.
45
46 > Gentoo can be rightly proud of the helpful environment it
47 > has fostered in this regard, and the fact that the original poster was
48 > resourceful enough to independently find and post the answer as well (and
49 > in such a short time) supports just how resourceful our users are. =8^)
50
51 Gentoo is not for the faint of heart!
52
53 > I know I've found the automatic repeat of messages at the end of
54 > the emerge session extremely helpful, here, and they are still logged for
55 > reference should I need to go back and look again.
56
57 I'm sure it is. My usual procedure is:
58
59 1. Wait far to long to do an emerge --update world on my desktop
60 2. Start an emerge of 150 packages or so
61 3. Go take a nap and see a movie while OpenOffice builds
62 4. Come back an restart, with env settings, when the emerge crashes
63 5. Go take another nap and see another movie
64 6. Come back and read what hasn't scrolled out of my scrollback buffer
65
66 If I get an error on something 2 weeks later, _maybe_ I can find a
67 reference to it in the info, but I'd have to know where to look. I
68 don't need hand-holding, but I don't like to have to waste time, either.
69
70 I do need to revisit enotice and see if I can't build it into something
71 that provides a search facility.
72
73 > However, to be fair, it's quite likely the hal merge in question was back
74 > before portage got so good at replaying its messages, and back then, it's
75 > understandable that they may have been lost in the noise, many many
76 > screens of info up from the ultimate emerge termination, so it's unfair
77 > to be too hard on someone missing the message... for a /little/ while
78 > longer, anyway. =8^)
79
80 I had to do substantial research to discover that the problem was even
81 related to Hal, so it's unlikely that I would have known to review the
82 Hal upgrade notes until I was close to a solution anyway.
83
84 A far more productive approach, and the one I used to solve this and
85 many other problems was to take a signature portion of the error message
86 and submit it on google. Generally I'm pretty good at separating
87 problems that lots of people may be having from those caused by my own
88 idiosyncratic sysadmining of my desktop box!
89
90 > OK. I just get paranoid sometimes, that people are bringing their bad
91 > habits with them, and not being properly encouraged to learn good habits
92 > in their place.
93
94 I _love_ my bad habits!
95
96 > I expect you'll agree that the last thing anyone wants
97 > is for Linux to end up the virus and malware wasteland its most popular
98 > competition has tended to be, and perhaps I get too worked up when I see
99 > what I take as hints that someone wants Linux to head the same direction.
100
101 It would be nice to have a concise table somewhere summarizing the
102 function of various modern group memberships.
103
104 plugdev -> Allows plugging devices admin'd by udev
105 cdrom -> Allows manipulation of CDROM functions
106 video -> Provides access to .....
107 etc.
108
109 Call it hand-holding if you will, or you can call it simply a concise
110 organization of important information. I just checked, and I'm in 16
111 different groups on my desktop system, some of which I have no idea why,
112 but I do know that I put my account into them at some point because it
113 was necessary for something that I needed to do. Wouldn't it be nice
114 for Gentoo to have an online doc section with a simple chart of this
115 nature? Yeah, I'm a competent sysadmin, and I can find all the
116 information, but there are times when I need to find something out
117 quickly so I can get on to more interesting things!
120 Lindsay Haisley | "In an open world, | PGP public key
121 FMP Computer Services | who needs Windows | available at
122 512-259-1190 | or Gates" | http://pubkeys.fmp.com
123 http://www.fmp.com | |
126 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list