From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: USB hard drive mounting problem
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 20:39:04
1 Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com> posted
2 1192899794.10036.59.camel@××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Sat, 20 Oct
3 2007 12:03:14 -0500:
4
5 > On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 04:32 +0000, Duncan wrote:
6 >> > It would be a Good Thing if new local accounts could be added to
7 >> > group plugdev when they're created.
8
9 For a moment there, I was rather confused, as I knew I certainly didn't
10 write what plainly looked to be attributed to me... I know it's hard to
11 get the attributions right when your first comment is on something down
12 the way a bit (I often find myself saying... there otta be a way), but at
13 least put in a "[quoting a previous post]" or something, so stuff doesn't
14 look so confusingly attributed to the wrong people.
15
16 > This is mostly just wishful thinking. There are a number of groups that
17 > a desktop user should be added to, depending on what's to be done with
18 > the system. I quite agree with you in general on the security issue,
19 > when I think about it, but not if the box is a single-user desktop
20 > system.
21
22 I'll admit there are certainly ways to make the management thereof
23 easier. OTOH, Gentoo is very deliberately not aimed toward those who
24 need a huge amount of hand-holding, and users are expected to take
25 responsibility for sysadmining their own system -- with guidance where it
26 may be found necessary, of course, and this is arguably one such place.
27
28 Beyond that is precisely where the forums and lists like this come in.
29 The question was a reasonable one to ask, and it was quickly and
30 reasonably answered (if by the original poster, but answered in any case)
31 and confirmed. Gentoo can be rightly proud of the helpful environment it
32 has fostered in this regard, and the fact that the original poster was
33 resourceful enough to independently find and post the answer as well (and
34 in such a short time) supports just how resourceful our users are. =8^)
35
36 >> Adding users you wish to have this access to the plugdev group is
37 >> indeed the correct solution, and indeed, mentioned in the log messages
38 >> for the hal package when you merge it. Check your portage messages
39 >> log, or see the elog at the end of the hal ebuilds if necessary. So
40 >> the instructions were there for you to read if you wanted to.
41 >
42 > Gentoo does its best with the portage log messages, and has improved
43 > recently, and I actually helped write the enotice utility that some
44 > people use to read these things.
45
46 =8^)
47
48 > The bottom line, however, is that it's
49 > still an very inconvenient format for essential documentation. Your
50 > comment is a bit like saying that the instructions for the tool you just
51 > bought are pasted to the inside of the shipping carton, and, well, if
52 > you don't understand how it works, just RTFM ;-)
53
54 I would have agreed with you with older portage versions, but with newer
55 portage now tracking such messages and repeating any accumulated messages
56 for all packages merged in that session at the end of every emerge by
57 default, even emerges that terminate due to errors, there's much less
58 excuse now not to be aware of what various packages are trying to tell
59 you. I know I've found the automatic repeat of messages at the end of
60 the emerge session extremely helpful, here, and they are still logged for
61 reference should I need to go back and look again.
62
63 > On top of this, there was nothing in the error message I got to
64 > positively identify this problem as as Hal issue any more than a Dbus
65 > issue. The error box text said to see the Dbus config file, which
66 > really didn't help much.
67
68 The point is... if the message had been read and followed (by whatever
69 means the user found necessary) at the original merge, the issue would
70 have been cleared up before it was ever encountered. =8^)
71
72 However, to be fair, it's quite likely the hal merge in question was back
73 before portage got so good at replaying its messages, and back then, it's
74 understandable that they may have been lost in the noise, many many
75 screens of info up from the ultimate emerge termination, so it's unfair
76 to be too hard on someone missing the message... for a /little/ while
77 longer, anyway. =8^)
78
79 >> It would *NOT* be a "Good Thing" (r), and in fact, would be a very "Bad
80 >> Thing" (r) to do this automatically when new users are created, as that
81 >> kills important aspects of the Unix/Linux security model, the entire
82 >> reason the generic "users" group isn't used in the first place. [...]
83 >
84 > I think one of the problems we have as sysadmins is that we often fail
85 > to distinguish between the security model required for a classic Unix
86 > multi-user system and a Linux desktop box which probably runs on a
87 > private network with probably only one or two users who are logged on
88 > sequentially rather than simultaneously. In the former case, you're
89 > quite right. I've been seriously rethinking the matter of security for
90 > the latter case.
91
92 For a "hand-holding" distribution, I generally agree, but as I said,
93 Gentoo has always expected its users to be able to take on a reasonable
94 amount of responsibility for sysadminning their own system. Since this
95 is Gentoo we are talking about, and the message is already there to point
96 them in the right direction should they wish to go there, I think it's
97 reasonable to expect the sysadmin to be able to take it from there.
98
99 > If I'd seriously wanted to make a request, I'd have filed an enhancement
100 > request on Gentoo bugzilla, and indeed I would have given it a good deal
101 > more thought.
102
103 OK. I just get paranoid sometimes, that people are bringing their bad
104 habits with them, and not being properly encouraged to learn good habits
105 in their place. I expect you'll agree that the last thing anyone wants
106 is for Linux to end up the virus and malware wasteland its most popular
107 competition has tended to be, and perhaps I get too worked up when I see
108 what I take as hints that someone wants Linux to head the same direction.
109
110 > This was not so much a request here as an aside, thinking
111 > that there needs to be some documentation format more convenient than
112 > e.g. fishing through portage logs for finding out how to properly tweak
113 > a user account on a desktop system in order to get it to work properly
114 > with various facilities on the host box.
115
116 Well, the Gentoo GNOME, KDE and XFCE guides mention the plugdev group and
117 that one might wish to add their users to it. So along with the mention
118 when hal is merged, that's at least four places it's mentioned in Gentoo
119 documentation.
120
121 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kde-config.xml#kde_device_mounting
122
123 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gnome-config.xml#doc_chap3
124
125 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xfce-config.xml#doc_chap2
126
127 I think the problem is that, as with so many things, people don't read
128 the instructions, and then wonder why they have so many problems properly
129 operating the product. Gentoo is known for the high quality and
130 availability of documentation; it's too bad so few people actually use it.
131
132 OTOH, that just gives us that do tend to read it a chance to play guru
133 from time to time. =8^)
138 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
141 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list