From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: USB hard drive mounting problem
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 17:16:36
1 On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 04:32 +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > > It would be a Good Thing if new local accounts could be added to group
3 > > plugdev when they're created.
4
5 This is mostly just wishful thinking. There are a number of groups that
6 a desktop user should be added to, depending on what's to be done with
7 the system. I quite agree with you in general on the security issue,
8 when I think about it, but not if the box is a single-user desktop
9 system.
10
11 > Adding users you wish to have this access to the plugdev group is indeed
12 > the correct solution, and indeed, mentioned in the log messages for the
13 > hal package when you merge it. Check your portage messages log, or see
14 > the elog at the end of the hal ebuilds if necessary. So the instructions
15 > were there for you to read if you wanted to.
16
17 Gentoo does its best with the portage log messages, and has improved
18 recently, and I actually helped write the enotice utility that some
19 people use to read these things. The bottom line, however, is that it's
20 still an very inconvenient format for essential documentation. Your
21 comment is a bit like saying that the instructions for the tool you just
22 bought are pasted to the inside of the shipping carton, and, well, if
23 you don't understand how it works, just RTFM ;-)
24
25 On top of this, there was nothing in the error message I got to
26 positively identify this problem as as Hal issue any more than a Dbus
27 issue. The error box text said to see the Dbus config file, which
28 really didn't help much.
29
30 The Gentoo spec for package metadata (metadata.xml) contains a virtually
31 unused field, <longdescription>, which could easily be used to contain
32 tidbits of this sort. I've lobbied on Gentoo bugzilla to have this
33 field used more constructively for this sort of information, but didn't
34 get anywhere. One could have emerege or better, equery be able to pull
35 up this info per package. The down side, of course, is that it would
36 increase the size of the portage tree, but the essential information is
37 already being stored in the ebuilds and is output to a running log that
38 can be many megs long and not designed to be searchable.
39
40 > However, security-wise, you've hit a bit of a raw nerve here, so excuse
41 > me while I rant a bit...
42
43 You're excused ;-)
44
45 > It would *NOT* be a "Good Thing" (r), and in fact, would be a very "Bad
46 > Thing" (r) to do this automatically when new users are created, as that
47 > kills important aspects of the Unix/Linux security model, the entire
48 > reason the generic "users" group isn't used in the first place. There
49 > are good reasons sysadmins may not WANT every user to have automount
50 > rights, and it's already possible to expand your newuser scripts locally
51 > to automatically add a user to various groups, if you as sysadmin decide
52 > that's what you want to do.
53
54 I think one of the problems we have as sysadmins is that we often fail
55 to distinguish between the security model required for a classic Unix
56 multi-user system and a Linux desktop box which probably runs on a
57 private network with probably only one or two users who are logged on
58 sequentially rather than simultaneously. In the former case, you're
59 quite right. I've been seriously rethinking the matter of security for
60 the latter case.
61
62 > So... please think before you make requests for automating procedures
63 > that effectively automate the creation of security holes. If you want
64 > platforms that do such things, they are available; no need to make Gentoo
65 > into one of them by default.
66
67 If I'd seriously wanted to make a request, I'd have filed an enhancement
68 request on Gentoo bugzilla, and indeed I would have given it a good deal
69 more thought. This was not so much a request here as an aside, thinking
70 that there needs to be some documentation format more convenient than
71 e.g. fishing through portage logs for finding out how to properly tweak
72 a user account on a desktop system in order to get it to work properly
73 with various facilities on the host box.
76 Lindsay Haisley | "In an open world, | PGP public key
77 FMP Computer Services | who needs Windows | available at
78 512-259-1190 | or Gates" | http://pubkeys.fmp.com
79 http://www.fmp.com | |
82 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list