From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: USB hard drive mounting problem - final comment
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 22:21:23
1 On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 20:24 +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > Well, the Gentoo GNOME, KDE and XFCE guides mention the plugdev group and
3 > that one might wish to add their users to it. So along with the mention
4 > when hal is merged, that's at least four places it's mentioned in Gentoo
5 > documentation.
6
7 The cart is before the horse here, Duncan. By the time I figured out
8 that the problem was related to the plugdev group, I had found proper
9 references to it on Google and had it solved. Before that, I was
10 looking at Hal, Dbus and udev config files to try to find an obvious
11 config error related to the error message I got, quoted in my first
12 post. The error message was ambiguous in this regard, and didn't
13 mention plugdev. There was nothing leading me to review the ebuild
14 notes. God bless Google!
15
16 On top of that, I'd had no trouble with hot-plugging flash drives, my
17 camera, or anything else up to that point. It was only the WD USB hard
18 drive that gave me grief.
19
20 I'll suggest that we end this thread. Beating this dead horse isn't as
21 much fun as it was yesterday ;-)
24 Lindsay Haisley | "The voice of dissent | PGP public key
25 FMP Computer Services | was arrested before the | available at
26 512-259-1190 | president cleared his | http://pubkeys.fmp.com
27 http://www.fmp.com | throat to speak |
28 | of freedom" |
29 | (Chris Chandler) |