From: Roman Zilka <zilka@×××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Vulnerabilities on an RFC-1918 masqueraded Linux box.
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 18:31:43
> > I suggest quitting this discussion. It's getting way > > off-topic, too general and unfit for this mailinglist, as all these > > questions can be answered by checking sources someone else has > > previously spent their time on writing. > > Roman, are you a moderator on this list? The Gentoo website describes > it as a "Mailing list devoted to Gentoo on the desktop" so I assumed > that Gentoo desktop security was an appropriate topic. > > That having been said, perhaps you might recommend a few of the best > "sources someone else has previously spent their time on writing" since > you seem to have knowledge of these, and I'll be happy to let the thread > drop.
This is exactly what this mailinglist primarily isn't for: re-relling stories Google can tell better, answering questions Google can answer. I say "primarily" - an off-topic off-shot here and there can't harm anyone, but we've had some already. If the list didn't have this policy and if it didn't more or less stick to it, it would have become a chat room for anyone who just doesn't want to take the time to search for themselves and instead opts for the lazier choice: just ask others, it's easier. I know it because I've been monitoring this list for years (read-only, for the most part). As you say: the list is for Gentoo on desktops. Not for general Linux security discussion. True, Gentoo is Linux, but we're here for Gentoo specifically. Otherwise we could just call the list "the list on everything" because, for example, Gentoo runs on CPUs and CPUs are in desktops, so random chat about CPU-related stuff is related to Gentoo on desktops. The same for any piece of hardware, and more than that. You get the idea. You boldly state that you'll be happy to drop this thread if certain conditions of yours are met. It sounds like you believe only you decide whether the thread is dropped or not and when. Well, it's not true. To my eyes this thread has become teaching certain basics in electronic communication and using the Internet. Everyone has the right to not know them, but I just don't feel like this is the right place to explain them. So I'm ending my participation in this particular thread and if everyone else does the same, the thread ends here, whether you decide so or not. Unless you'd go on talking to yourself, in which case it would probably end a bit later by the power of a moderator. -rz