From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] update world issue (oops)
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 05:10:22
1 x3n wrote:
2 > Why have you unmask the xorg-x11 7.1 ebuild if neither NVIDIA, neither
3 > ATI have released a driver compatible with this version ? I think that
4 > today, there a lot and lot of users with nv or ati cards...
5 > Perhaps you know when nvidia will released the new driver ?
6
7 Your last question answers your first. I have absolutely no idea when
8 Nvidia or ATi will deign to release compatible drivers. I'm not about to
9 sit back and let things rot because IHVs are essentially slacking off
10 and won't even commit to a timetable on when things will work. The ABI
11 breakage has been known for months by people working for both companies,
12 but they've failed to provide updated drivers.
13
14 All of the open-source drivers are compatible, and I'm aware of only a
15 small number of cases in which binary drivers support hardware
16 open-source drivers do not (ATi X1000 and up).
17
18 Imagine a world in which the Linux kernel was only released after every
19 single vendor providing a third-party binary driver validated that it
20 worked with that kernel version. You'd never get anything done, and
21 people would never get new software.
22
23 Thanks,
24 Donnie