From: Andrei Slavoiu <ansla80@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] update world issue (oops)
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 09:17:48
1 --- Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
2 > x3n wrote:
3 > > Why have you unmask the xorg-x11 7.1 ebuild if
4 > neither NVIDIA, neither
5 > > ATI have released a driver compatible with this
6 > version ? I think that
7 > > today, there a lot and lot of users with nv or ati
8 > cards...
9 > > Perhaps you know when nvidia will released the new
10 > driver ?
11 >
12 > Your last question answers your first. I have
13 > absolutely no idea when
14 > Nvidia or ATi will deign to release compatible
15 > drivers. I'm not about to
16 > sit back and let things rot because IHVs are
17 > essentially slacking off
18 > and won't even commit to a timetable on when things
19 > will work. The ABI
20 > breakage has been known for months by people working
21 > for both companies,
22 > but they've failed to provide updated drivers.
23 >
24 > All of the open-source drivers are compatible, and
25 > I'm aware of only a
26 > small number of cases in which binary drivers
27 > support hardware
28 > open-source drivers do not (ATi X1000 and up).
29 Actualy the xorg drivers were not that trouble-free
30 either. 3D acceleration with the r300 driver does not
31 work with the DRM modules that come with kernel 2.6.16
32 and a standalone snapshot that would work with them
33 was only added to portage today. After upgrading to
34 xorg 7.1 I had to emerge vanilla-sources-2.6.17_rc5 to
35 have 3D acceleration back.
36 So I think 7.1 was unmasked a little too early, being
37 in portage was enough for anyone who wanted to try it out.
38
40 Do You Yahoo!?
41 Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
42 http://mail.yahoo.com
43 --
44 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list