From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 12:43:08
1 On Thursday 07 October 2004 07:02, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 12:20, Luke-Jr wrote:
4 > >>On Wednesday 06 October 2004 3:43 pm, marcos ferreyra wrote:
5 > >>>Examples of things that DON'T WORK out-of-the-box are
6 > >>>* wireless (in my experience, very hard to set up)
7 > >>
8 > >>(Never tried w/ Gentoo.)
9 > >
10 > > I don't get this one. I guess I've just been lucky and have only
11 > > bought good wireless cards, but for me it only takes editing a couple
12 > > lines in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts and restarting pcmcia.
13 > >
14 > > I also have been working on making net-setup on the LiveCD
15 > > wireless-capable, so expect to see that for the 2004.3 release.
16 > > Also, has anyone written up good documentation for setting up
17 > > wireless for the Handbook? That would probably be a good idea of
18 > > something to do.
19 >
20 > That's if you have a PCMCIA card. Here's what I had to do for my
21 > built-in laptop mPCI card to work:
22 >
23 > 1. Install Driverloader (not Gentoo's fault)
24 > 2. Set to autoload module at start
25 > 3. Add a dirty hack to /etc/init.d/net.eth1 that calls iwconfig and
26 > sets parameters (ssid, WEP, etc.)
27 >
28 > Of course, this only works for a single location. If I want to travel,
29 > it means booting, waiting for everything to time out, editing the
30 > net.eth1 script, and rebooting, or running iwconfig manually and
31 > restarting all the failed services.
32
33 If you just run "rc" as root all services for your current runlevel will
34 be started (it only uses the status as it knows it, not the real status)
35
36 Paul
39 Paul de Vrieze
40 Gentoo Developer