From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: K3B error
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 21:15:16
1 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> posted pan.2007.10.20.11.04.42@×××.net,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 20 Oct 2007 11:04:42 +0000:
3
4 > widyachacra <widyachacra@×××××.com> posted
5 > cb9528810710200049t5385bef7j714bb039ba42ae0d@××××××××××.com, excerpted
6 > below, on Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:19:25 +0530:
7 >
8 >> I get below notice when i open the K3B.
9 >>
10 >> System locale charset is ANSI_X3.4-1968 Your system's locale charset
11 >> (i.e. the charset used to encode filenames) is set to ANSI_X3.4-1968.
12 >> It is highly unlikely that this has been done intentionally. Most
13 >> likely the locale is not set at all. An invalid setting will result in
14 >> problems when creating data projects. Solution: To properly set the
15 >> locale charset make sure the LC_* environment variables are set.
16 >> Normally the distribution setup tools take care of this.
17 >>
18 >> I tried to write more ISO distros but all are failed. Please help me.
19 >> How to change LC_* details.
20 >
21 > FWIW, I have the same problem here, but it hasn't seemed to actually
22 > affect anything operationally. [If] anyone has a solution, I too could
23 > use it, as the warnings do get old after awhile, even if they don't
24 > seem to actually matter much if at all.
25
26 Fixed it here. All it took was running "locale-gen" to fix my locales.
27 I read something recently about a bug (since fixed) in IIRC util-linux
28 that caused locale issues, but didn't worry much about it since I only
29 read English anyway. However, I think what must have happened is that
30 glibc was upgraded while this bug was active, and the locale-gen that
31 glibc ebuilds normally run as part of the upgrade failed.
32
33 I'd known about the problem for awhile, but it wasn't anything high
34 priority as everything seemed to continue to work despite the k3b warning
35 and a few similar warnings compiling things. However, after writing the
36 above, I decided to look into it a bit, and sure enough quick-fix. /etc/
37 locales.gen was still set correctly, but for whatever reason, probably
38 the above bug, it hadn't run properly the last time it had been run, so I
39 didn't have a valid locale. Rerunning locales-gen manually was a simple
40 enough fix, once I figured out that was the problem.
41
42 So run locales-gen and see if that fixes it. I didn't even have to
43 update my environment as that was right, it was simply pointing to a
44 locale config that didn't exist where it was supposed to, and locales-gen
45 was all it took to fix it.
50 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
53 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list