From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 17:10:56
1 Roman, et al, since you, and maybe others seem to be incredibly hot to
2 trot on my desktop booting issue, the files you requested are at
3
4 <http://www.fmp.com/~fmouse/vishnu/>
5
6 /etc/fstab (vishnu_fstab.txt) is configured as per the _working_ kernel
7 on the box, which is 2.6.21-gentoo-r1. When booting from a more recent
8 kernel, the 1st three lines will be changed to spec /dev/sdXn instead
9 of /dev/hdXn.
10
11 The kernel config (vishnu_kernel-2.6.29-gentoo-r5_config.txt) is suspect
12 at this point, as per Roman's information re. 2.6.29 being a thoroughly
13 discredited kernel version. This configuration will _not_ be used going
14 forward into a more recent kernel.
15
16 vishnu_emerge_info.txt is "emerge --info" from the box. I'm not sure
17 how this will give you any insight into the booting problem on the box,
18 but since you seem to have your knickers in a knot about my _not_
19 posting it, here it is :-)
20
21 Kernels on the box are built manually, using "make bzImage" and friends,
22 not using genkernel.
23
24 When I have some time to take the box down, upgrade the kernel and take
25 another shot at this problem, I'll update.
28 Lindsay Haisley | "Real programmers use butterflies"
29 FMP Computer Services |
30 512-259-1190 | - xkcd
31 http://www.fmp.com |