From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] 8 days now!!
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 05:05:07
Thus spake lists on Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 08:25:36AM CST
> I needed lots of sleep. Right now I don't have a CD burner. I am using it > to boot from. I am running from a knoppix CD. I think there is a way to > fix this without starting over. I have chrooted in to my new HD, I > downloaded a 2006.1 stage3, I did the env-update && source etc/profile... > > I will be working on this and reading through as much as I can find about > it today. If I can't get anywhere with it, I can get a CD from my friend > some time next week. Good luck with the ALSA stuff. You may need to > recompile the kernel with that.
Lack of sleep on top of frustration makes it really difficult to do good diagnostic work. Please take the time to obtain, and then work from a current install disk. Please report carefully, concisely and accurately any ebuild errors you get. Full compile records aren't helpful, just the topmost error in an ebuild output down to the ebuild boilerplate about reporting the error above that point. It might be helpful to post the output of 'emerge info'. If you are having app crashes, run the problem GUI apps from a CLI and report the output to your terminal - segfaults, GTK messages, etc. Keep a good record of what you do. I would strongly advise you to follow the Gentoo install step-by-step docs _to the letter_! Gentoo generally has very good instructions, and many times I've found that problems I've had in installs and complex upgrades have been the result of leaving out some step which at first didn't seem important but in retrospect was critical. This will also help people on this list help you since everyone can be on the same page as far as the steps you've taken and where things have failed.
> It is hard for me to even get to my email now. I need my evolution and > firefox passwords!! damn!!
FWIW, Evolution is a real bear! It's an absolutely brilliant piece of design supported by very mediocre software engineering. It's no wonder the Ximian people aren't on the scene anymore. I also use Evolution, and have fights with it periodically. My mail access is all via IMAP, and I have a cron job which backs up my calendar, and my contacts are all backed up in LDAP on my servers, so when Evolution trashes my personal data, which it does periodically, I have working backups. My favorite MUA is still Mutt, which I fall back on with relative ease when Evo craps out on me. Thunderbird is coming along, and with the Lightning plugin (and it's standalone equiv. Sunbird) it's going to be running Evo some good competition in a year or two. -- Lindsay Haisley | "Fighting against human | PGP public key FMP Computer Services | creativity is like | available at 512-259-1190 | trying to eradicate | <http://pubkeys.fmp.com> http://www.fmp.com | dandelions" | | (Pamela Jones) | -- gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list