From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 22:17:08
1 Thus spake Mike C. Fletcher on Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 02:55:15PM CDT
2 > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > ...
4 >
5 > >On the other side, what is really hard to configure? Where can we
6 > >improve how we set things up when programs are emerged?
7
8 Here's a big one on my wish-list! I think I saw a lengthy discussion of it
9 in the bug tracker, or on one of the lists, and it looked like changes were
10 in the works, but I never saw anything come down the pike that suggested
11 that it was a done deal. Maybe it's there and it slipped by me.
12
13 When I do a batch-emerge, such as 'emerge uU world', a lot of important
14 informaton on various packages scrolls up the screen. Some of this stuff is
15 must-read info, or stuff that would save a lot of time and research if I
16 could read it. In Debian, with the ncurses debconf UI, I can swipe the
17 important info screens and paste them into a file for review later. They
18 all have <OK> buttons so they stay until you dismiss them. In Gentoo
19 there's no way to do this. I've taken to doing emerges with my fingers
20 ready on CTRL-S so I can stop and read, or save off, important stuff before
21 it's gone off screen and out of the scroll buffer. Needless to say, this
22 can eat up a lot of time. It sure would be VERY nice if there were some way
23 to capture all the output from einfo and ewarn during a batch build so that
24 I could go do something else and come back when the job was done and review
25 all the messages relating to all the installed or updated packages.
26
27 I'd really love for someone to tell me that this I'm a clueless RTFM idiot,
28 that it's already done, and if I were half-way on the ball I'd be doing it
29 already ;-)
32 Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works | PGP public key
33 FMP Computer Services | if you let it" | available at
34 512-259-1190 | (Travis W. Redfish) | <http://www.fmp.com/pubkeys>
35 http://www.fmp.com | ("The Roadie") |
38 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list