From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new virtual -- virtual/go to fix go build time dependencies
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2017 08:07:52
1 On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 16:40:06 -0600
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > What I need is a way to force all go programs on your system to rebuild
5 > when the version of dev-lang/go on your system changes, and this method
6 > with virtuals is the only way I can think of to make that happen and
7 > allow you to remove dev-lang/go.
8
9 Given the strength of := binding, I'd discourage against this.
10
11 Causing portage resolver catastrophes to solve a "it would be nice if ..." problem
12 is a bad trade-off.
13
14 := Should be restricted to things that it is *necessary* for.
15
16 What I think is needed is a weaker version of := which is advisory: that is, portage
17 ignores the binding in entirety unless portage options dictate "rebuild things even if
18 strictly not necessary"
19
20 And this levity should mean portage should be more amenable to break graphs
21 to make install possible. ( Whereas with := , the presence of such a spec causes portage
22 to have tantrums when the underlying dependency changes )