From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new virtual -- virtual/go to fix go build time dependencies
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 22:40:43
1 Hi all,
2
3 I was attending SCALE, but now I'm back to answer this.
4
5 On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 04:46:22PM -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
6 > What kind of dependency do we need, anyway? William, are you saying that
7 > if I upgrade dev-lang/go, then things will break, but if I delete
8 > dev-lang/go, everything is fine?
9
10 Go programs will not *break* if you upgrade or downgrade dev-lang/go, but
11 they will not get the new features or fixes in the new version of
12 dev-lang/go until they are rebuilt with the new version.
13 If you remove dev-lang/go, all Go programs on your system will run
14 because they have everything they need from the Go libraries statically
15 linked into them.
16 dev-lang/go is a build time, not a runtime dependency, but dev-lang/go:=
17 means nothing unless it is in RDEPEND.
18
19 What I need is a way to force all go programs on your system to rebuild
20 when the version of dev-lang/go on your system changes, and this method
21 with virtuals is the only way I can think of to make that happen and
22 allow you to remove dev-lang/go.
23
24 William