From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new virtual -- virtual/go to fix go build time dependencies
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 23:51:35
1 On 03/07/2017 05:40 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I was attending SCALE, but now I'm back to answer this.
5 >
6 > On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 04:46:22PM -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
7 >> What kind of dependency do we need, anyway? William, are you saying that
8 >> if I upgrade dev-lang/go, then things will break, but if I delete
9 >> dev-lang/go, everything is fine?
10 >
11 > Go programs will not *break* if you upgrade or downgrade dev-lang/go, but
12 > they will not get the new features or fixes in the new version of
13 > dev-lang/go until they are rebuilt with the new version.
14
15 Ha, then I went off on a pointless tangent.
16
17 How is this situation different from, say, a C program? You need to
18 recompile to get the new GCC optimizations, stack-mumbo-jumbo
19 protections, etc.