From: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new virtual -- virtual/go to fix go build time dependencies
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2017 00:02:59
1 On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 18:51:12 -0500
2 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 03/07/2017 05:40 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
5 > > Hi all,
6 > >
7 > > I was attending SCALE, but now I'm back to answer this.
8 > >
9 > > On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 04:46:22PM -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
10 > >> What kind of dependency do we need, anyway? William, are you
11 > >> saying that if I upgrade dev-lang/go, then things will break, but
12 > >> if I delete dev-lang/go, everything is fine?
13 > >
14 > > Go programs will not *break* if you upgrade or downgrade
15 > > dev-lang/go, but they will not get the new features or fixes in the
16 > > new version of dev-lang/go until they are rebuilt with the new
17 > > version.
18 >
19 > Ha, then I went off on a pointless tangent.
20 >
21 > How is this situation different from, say, a C program? You need to
22 > recompile to get the new GCC optimizations, stack-mumbo-jumbo
23 > protections, etc.
27 You also need to recompile to get security bugs fixed. With go it's not
28 just compiler options, it's also the standard library updates that need
29 a recompile to get.