From: Stewart Honsberger <blkdeath@g.o>
To: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
Cc: Matthew Kennedy <mkennedy@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo internal structure
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 09:28:20
1 Jon Portnoy wrote:
2 >>I suppose I am dismayed that we are failing to promote free software
3 >>over proprietary software.
4 >
5 > We are promoting giving users a choice. What we are failing at is trying
6 > to force them into using free software.
7 >
8 > Quick poll of people reading this thread: Would you like to see the
9 > removal of nonfree software from the tree? That means things like
10 > vmware, the java packages, etc.
11 >
12 > Or perhaps someone should start a poll in the forums in Gentoo Chat
13 > about it.
14
15 Much as I'm an advocate of free, open software - I'm also an advocate of
16 choice. I'm also practical; I firmly believe in using the tool that does
17 the job. There are just some applications where free/open software
18 hasn't matured enough to be used in, eg, enterprise or even small
19 business (or, for that matter, on the desktop).
20
21 I'd rather be able to use the proprietary software until the f/o stuff
22 is mature enough for me to take the leap. Not everybody has the time to
23 debug all of their software packages for several weeks before they can
24 get full use out of it.
25
26 </ramble>
27