From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Policy for migrating library consumers to subslots
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 11:14:46
1 On 26/09/2013 20:55, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 20:51:26 +1000
3 > Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
4 >> There isn't a 100% perfect solution currently, and I agree that
5 >> hurrying people will simply move us from "not enough rebuilds" to
6 >> "too many rebuilds".
7 >
8 > This is still a huge improvement.
9 >
10 At the same time, it's also a huge regression.
11
12 We relied on revdep-rebuild for a long time, and preserve-libs is
13 enabled now by default. Widespread subslot usage will go a long way to
14 improve the user experience, but adding them carelessly now will only
15 mean a lot of extra work later.