From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: licenses@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Adding potentially questionable license AcePerl-Indemnity
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 22:33:06
1 I've just discovered dev-perl/Ace has some fun questionable licensing
2 which includes a lovely indemnity clause, which had previously gone
3 unnoticed, and it stipulates additional requests for research
4 publications, which is not something mentioned in any license currently
5 in tree other than Tinker
6
7 Following is the entire body of the license I plan to put in
8 licenses/AcePerl-Indemnity ( name chosen to specifically alert people
9 tempted to accept this license that Indemnification is an important
10 part they should actually read )
11
12 Current advice also says that due to the terms of this license, we have
13 to RESTRICT="mirror" this as well, unless the Trustees want to sign off
14 on potentially indemnifying CSHL
15
16 Also following up with CPAN because as its *currently* mirrored on
17 CPAN, and has been mirrored there for at *least* 12 years, its
18 potentially in a legal situation as well.
19
20 ( But that's the fault of the uploader if true, because you can't
21 upload anything to CPAN without mirroring being something you didn't
22 expect )
23
24 Once this license is added, the plan is to rework Ace-*.ebuild to be under
25
26 LICENSE="|| ( Artistic GPL-1+ ) AcePerl-Indemnity"
27
28 Upstream: https://metacpan.org/source/LDS/AcePerl-1.92/DISCLAIMER.txt
29
30 Text Body:
31
32 ==============
33
34 The Ace.pm package and all associated files are Copyright (c) 1998
35 Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.
36
37 This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
38 it under the same terms as Perl itself. See the Artistic License file
39 in the main Perl distribution for specific terms and conditions of
40 use. In addition, the following disclaimers apply:
41
42 CSHL makes no representations whatsoever as to the SOFTWARE contained
43 herein. It is experimental in nature and is provided WITHOUT WARRANTY
44 OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR ANY OTHER
45 WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. CSHL MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OR
46 WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY PATENT OR
47 OTHER PROPRIETARY RIGHT.
48
49 By downloading this SOFTWARE, your Institution hereby indemnifies CSHL
50 against any loss, claim, damage or liability, of whatsoever kind or
51 nature, which may arise from your Institution's respective use,
52 handling or storage of the SOFTWARE.
53
54 If publications result from research using this SOFTWARE, we ask that
55 CSHL be acknowledged and/or credit be given to CSHL scientists, as
56 scientifically appropriate.
57