From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>, trustees <trustees@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, licenses@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Adding potentially questionable license AcePerl-Indemnity
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 22:43:03
1 On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 3:33 PM Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > I've just discovered dev-perl/Ace has some fun questionable licensing
4 > which includes a lovely indemnity clause, which had previously gone
5 > unnoticed, and it stipulates additional requests for research
6 > publications, which is not something mentioned in any license currently
7 > in tree other than Tinker
8 >
9 > Following is the entire body of the license I plan to put in
10 > licenses/AcePerl-Indemnity ( name chosen to specifically alert people
11 > tempted to accept this license that Indemnification is an important
12 > part they should actually read )
13 >
14 > Current advice also says that due to the terms of this license, we have
15 > to RESTRICT="mirror" this as well, unless the Trustees want to sign off
16 > on potentially indemnifying CSHL
19 I think it's less about the Foundation (I'm happy to indemnify them) but
20 the indemnification reads as viral to me and so anyone that operated a
21 distfiles mirror would also implicitly indemnify[0] (through mirroring from
22 us) and it seems unlikely this is a thing we would encourage because our
23 distfiles operators are relying on some diligence on our own end to avoid
24 excessive liability for files we provide to them.
25
26 -A
27
28 [0] Whether this would hold up is another matter, but I'm fine with
29 restricting the mirroring of aceperl to avoid this complication.
34 > Also following up with CPAN because as its *currently* mirrored on
35 > CPAN, and has been mirrored there for at *least* 12 years, its
36 > potentially in a legal situation as well.
37 >
38 > ( But that's the fault of the uploader if true, because you can't
39 > upload anything to CPAN without mirroring being something you didn't
40 > expect )
41 >
42 > Once this license is added, the plan is to rework Ace-*.ebuild to be under
43 >
44 > LICENSE="|| ( Artistic GPL-1+ ) AcePerl-Indemnity"
45 >
46 > Upstream: https://metacpan.org/source/LDS/AcePerl-1.92/DISCLAIMER.txt
47 >
48 > Text Body:
49 >
50 > ==============
51 >
52 > The Ace.pm package and all associated files are Copyright (c) 1998
53 > Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.
54 >
55 > This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
56 > it under the same terms as Perl itself. See the Artistic License file
57 > in the main Perl distribution for specific terms and conditions of
58 > use. In addition, the following disclaimers apply:
59 >
60 > CSHL makes no representations whatsoever as to the SOFTWARE contained
61 > herein. It is experimental in nature and is provided WITHOUT WARRANTY
62 > OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR ANY OTHER
63 > WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. CSHL MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OR
64 > WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY PATENT OR
65 > OTHER PROPRIETARY RIGHT.
66 >
67 > By downloading this SOFTWARE, your Institution hereby indemnifies CSHL
68 > against any loss, claim, damage or liability, of whatsoever kind or
69 > nature, which may arise from your Institution's respective use,
70 > handling or storage of the SOFTWARE.
71 >
72 > If publications result from research using this SOFTWARE, we ask that
73 > CSHL be acknowledged and/or credit be given to CSHL scientists, as
74 > scientifically appropriate.
75 >