From: Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Saving package emerge output (einfo, elog, ewarn, etc.) somewhere official
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 17:11:54
1 Peter Volkov wrote:
2 > Seems that we already have everything you dreamed about:
3 >
4 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=1#doc_chap4
5 >
6 > Take a look at PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM. It even can send that messages by
7 > mail :)
8
9 This is all cool, indeed! :)
10
11 I suspect, however, that most users have never played with these
12 variables. I think that saving this info in the portage db or making it
13 more default/official in some way could be a great help. The core
14 problem is, I think, that many users do not know where to look when
15 having trouble, so they may not even realize that what they need is in
16 the log info.
17
18 The reason I was phrasing it more in "readme" terms is that most people
19 can identify with that concept, and it could be made clear that there
20 exists Gentoo-specific readme info that is always available (regardless
21 of whether a user sets up the portage logging stuff). The bare log
22 messages could exist as a minimal default for packages that do nothing
23 special to provide more readme info.
24
25 -Joe