From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Saving package emerge output (einfo, elog, ewarn, etc.) somewhere official
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 18:21:17
1 On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 10:11:49 -0700
2 Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Peter Volkov wrote:
5 > > Seems that we already have everything you dreamed about:
6 > >
7 > > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=1#doc_chap4
8 > >
9 > > Take a look at PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM. It even can send that messages
10 > > by mail :)
11 >
12 > This is all cool, indeed! :)
13 >
14 > I suspect, however, that most users have never played with these
15 > variables. I think that saving this info in the portage db or making
16 > it more default/official in some way could be a great help. The core
17 > problem is, I think, that many users do not know where to look when
18 > having trouble, so they may not even realize that what they need is in
19 > the log info.
20
21 How more official can you get? :P By default we do save the logs, and
22 we provide a complete logging facility that can even log to syslog,
23 mail them to you, or run arbitrary commands. We link to the
24 build log on build failure. We reprint all log messages at the end of
25 the emerge by default. If the user ignores these, and doesn't read the
26 manual, then...
27
28 I think educating the user about systems we already have in place beats
29 adding new ones.
33 gcc-porting, by design, by neglect
34 treecleaner, for a fact or just for effect
35 wxwidgets @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662