From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Gentoo Security <security@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Pre-GLEP: Security Project
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 19:11:12
1 On 2017-03-12 00:54, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 >> 1. From this proposal it looks like the Security Project Lead
3 >> obtains a lot of power and a lot of responsibility, maybe too much
4 >> for a single person to handle.
5 >>
6 >> While the Deputy may be assigned, this still gives all power to
7 >> single hands. Maybe it will be better to establish something like
8 >> the Security Project Council (SPC)? E.g. three project members may
9 >> be elected to this SPC, so that all serious decisions will require
10 >> some team agreement from at least 2 SPC members. This way the
11 >> Deputy will not be needed as well.
12 >>
13 > The thinking here is that the project lead is the responsible party. Any
14 > ambiguity can still be escalated to the Gentoo Council, but someone
15 > needs to be responsible from the side of the Gentoo Security Project.
16
17 I completely disagree with that.
18
19 The whole powerful lead/deputy thing is going in the wrong direction.
20
21 We don't need that. Security project is nothing special and doesn't need
22 a strong lead with such a power to rule the entire Gentoo project.
23
24 In general, every full member in the project should be equal. So I would
25 list them all as confidential contact for example. This would lower the
26 chance to compromise a member because an attacker wouldn't know who will
27 get contacted. If we would only have one contact (like the lead) this
28 would be a high-value target.
29 Because the security project has some inactive/dev away members the team
30 maybe want to select some main contacts instead. But this is up to the
31 team/project and doesn't belong in any GLEP.
35 Regards,
36 Thomas