From: Yury German <blueknight@g.o>
To: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Gentoo Security <security@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Pre-GLEP: Security Project
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 00:49:22
1 On 3/13/17 3:10 PM, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2
3 > I completely disagree with that.
4 >
5 > The whole powerful lead/deputy thing is going in the wrong direction.
6 >
7 > We don't need that. Security project is nothing special and doesn't need
8 > a strong lead with such a power to rule the entire Gentoo project.
9 >
10 > In general, every full member in the project should be equal. So I would
11 > list them all as confidential contact for example. This would lower the
12 > chance to compromise a member because an attacker wouldn't know who will
13 > get contacted. If we would only have one contact (like the lead) this
14 > would be a high-value target.
15
16 That is not possible (every full member as a confidential contact). This
17 is not something that is allowed by the upstream early notification
18 teams. We have tried using a mailing list and only very few would accept
19 that.
20
21 Also this is important for point of contacts as well. Once the
22 confidential contacts receive the email they put in to bugzilla and make
23 it security bug at that point everyone sees it.
24
25 > Because the security project has some inactive/dev away members the team
26 > maybe want to select some main contacts instead. But this is up to the
27 > team/project and doesn't belong in any GLEP.
28
29 That is the whole point of elections, if the lead is away then the
30 deputy takes over the role. If the deputy can not do the job for some
31 reason then they can be changed to another deputy. There is no problems
32 with that, the deputy role being a non-elected role.