From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo internal structure
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 03:13:33
1 Hi Brett,
2
3 Brett I. Holcomb wrote: [Thu Nov 20 2003, 09:34:36PM EST]
4 > Gentoo is a distro that allows us to get work done and not get into
5 > the "if you use non-free software you have betrayed humanity"
6 > argument. ... The person raising the question is a zealot who will
7 > accept nothing less then all free software and no non-free. That was
8 > explained many times and he, like all of us have a choice - use a
9 > distro that fits whatever philosophy you have.
10
11 Unfortunately you have missed the point of Gentoo. The point of Gentoo
12 is to give choice to the users. The concept of Gentoo as a
13 metadistribution is that Gentoo can be whatever distribution you want it
14 to be. Granted, there are bounds since we're not going to implement
15 Gentoo with rpms, but nonetheless, *this* is the point of Gentoo: Let
16 the user decide. See http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/philosophy.xml
17
18 In this case, what this means is that we need to implement
19 ACCEPT_LICENSES in a clean, unobtrusive way with reasonable defaults so
20 that (1) it doesn't get in your way, (2) the free software zealot can
21 run Gentoo with pride.
22
23 As Jason mentioned, putting reasonable defaults into make.defaults
24 accomplishes #1. The default might even be ACCEPT_LICENSES='*', in
25 which case modification in make.conf would need to be something like
26 ACCEPT_LICENSES='-* GPL-1 GPL-2' (which then accomplishes #2)
27
28 I'm all in favor of this change. So far we've been accumulating
29 licenses in /usr/portage/licenses without a final goal for that
30 directory. This change would finally make use of that directory and
31 supply something that some of our users want, without making a headache
32 for the rest of us.
33
34 Aron
37 Aron Griffis
38 Gentoo Linux Developer (alpha / ia64 / ruby / vim)
39 Key fingerprint = E3B6 8734 C2D6 B5E5 AE76 FB3A 26B1 C5E3 2010 4EB0