From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Some new global USE-flags
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 05:51:20
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 >> branding: Enable Gentoo specific branding
4 >> [questionable, as used for splashes/shortcuts/artwork]
5 >
6 > Well, my personal opinion here is that we should enable this by default
7 > on *at least* the desktop profiles, as providing sensible defaults and
8 > branding isn't outside the scope of the project. We still stay as close
9 > to upstream as possible with this stuff and only use it for branding or
10 > optional Gentoo-specific minor config changes. Also, it can still be
11 > disabled for people who want everything as upstream intended.
12 >
13 I have no objection to it being flagged on by default in desktop profiles,
14 but "Gentoo-specific minor config changes" concerns me, since I take it as
15 given that installing for a specific distro implies config changes to work
16 with that distro, and not having those because I have turned branding off
17 sounds bad for me as a user and seems a confusion of purpose. (It could
18 lead to more optional config changes bundled in future which wouldn't be
19 apparent without knowledge of the ebuild.)
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list