From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Some new global USE-flags
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 18:58:34
1 On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 05:53 +0000, Steve Long wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 >
4 > >> branding: Enable Gentoo specific branding
5 > >> [questionable, as used for splashes/shortcuts/artwork]
6 > >
7 > > Well, my personal opinion here is that we should enable this by default
8 > > on *at least* the desktop profiles, as providing sensible defaults and
9 > > branding isn't outside the scope of the project. We still stay as close
10 > > to upstream as possible with this stuff and only use it for branding or
11 > > optional Gentoo-specific minor config changes. Also, it can still be
12 > > disabled for people who want everything as upstream intended.
13 > >
14 > I have no objection to it being flagged on by default in desktop profiles,
15 > but "Gentoo-specific minor config changes" concerns me, since I take it as
16 > given that installing for a specific distro implies config changes to work
17 > with that distro, and not having those because I have turned branding off
18 > sounds bad for me as a user and seems a confusion of purpose. (It could
19 > lead to more optional config changes bundled in future which wouldn't be
20 > apparent without knowledge of the ebuild.)
21
22 Well, by this I meant something like bug #170059 which would mean
23 changing the default home page (minor config change) to something
24 Gentoo-specific. Not all config changes are for required functionality.
25 Sorry, I had assumed that people on this list would be technical and
26 able to realize this without it being explicitly spelled-out.
29 Chris Gianelloni
30 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
31 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
32 Games Developer/Foundation Trustee