From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why not vi?
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 19:34:07
1 begin quote
2 On Fri, 24 May 2002 20:10:17 -0400
3 Eric Moncrieff <eric@××××.org> wrote:
4
5 > Hello Gentoo Team,
6 >
7 > When I discovered, to my surprise, that I was forced to use nano, I
8 > immediately decided to take your Portage system for a spin, and typed
9 > 'emerge app-editors/vi'. Vi was built from source (though I'm not
10 > clear on which particular vi you used). However, when I tried to run
11 > it, it segfaulted. So I was stuck with nano.
12
13 Could you please give me a backtrace of this? I'm the one "responsible"
14 for vi as of the moment, and this is the second occurance of a random
15 heisenbug for vi that I've seen, noone so far has been able to debug it
16 since it goes away with their second install (It works for me, in the
17 systems I've tried, could be a library interdependency bug)
18
19 As for the version of vi used, its the "original" vi 3.7, as released
20 by Caldera into the open some time ago, linked against ncurses instead
21 of terminfo, mostly as a convenience.
22
23 > So I tried 'emerge app-editors/vim', which built all of X for me (I
24 > have to remember the --pretend option). This was fine, but it took a
25 > long time, and all I wanted to do was edit my startup scripts.
26
27 it only builds X if you have either:
28 gnome
29 gtk
30 X
31 tcltk
32
33 in your USE flags, its perfectly capable of building without X :)
34 (gtk requires X to build, gnome requires gtk, X.... well. and tk
35 requires X )
38 > So now I've got a working vi, which I'm happy about. Of course, after
39 > kde finishes building, I'm going to build emacs, so I won't be using
40 > my new vi very much, but still...For all this long time, we've been
41 > able to count on vi as the quick, omnipresent editor. But not for
42 > Gentoo.
43
44 No, vim was dropped at one point due to the amount of dependencies it
45 caused to build "proper" (ncurses terminfo I think it was), wether the
46 minimalist vi were a bit harsh and user-unfriendly according to some.
47 GNU Nano is relatively simple and fullfeatured, even for users who
48 havent tried it before.
49
50 //Spider
53 begin .signature
54 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
56 end